Consumer Financial Services Litigation
The Consumer Financial Services Litigation group at Brock & Scott represents financial services entities in the area of litigation, focusing in the defense of individual and class action claims stemming from alleged violations of debt collection, credit reporting and other consumer protection statutes. The group also regularly handles complaints involving the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau, the Federal Trade Commission, state attorney generals and licensing boards and is skilled in handling civil investigative demands and other regulatory inquiries related to debt collection practices.
With the advent of the CFPB and its comprehensive supervisory and enforcement authority, consumer financial services providers face a constantly changing and intricate regulatory environment. Our experienced Consumer Financial Services Litigation group can also advise on regulatory matters, regulatory enforcement proceedings, and other lawsuits nationwide while assisting in the review of credit products and processes. We represent clients ranging from the large financial institutions to smaller credit providers and financial entities.
LITIGATION & ARBITRATION
Representing banks and other financial institutions throughout the United States in class actions, regulatory proceedings, and other litigation, we often act as sole counsel or national coordinating counsel. Our group has handled class actions and other lawsuits involving:
- Compliance with the gamut of federal and state consumer financial services laws, including challenges to clients’ TILA, HOEPA, ECOA, FCRA, FDCPA, RESPA, and EFTA compliance
- Claims of credit discrimination and reverse redlining
- Enforcement of arbitration provisions in consumer credit contracts
- Challenges to interest rates, fees, and other contract terms
- Marketing and advertising practices
- Claims against spurious arbitration companies and fraudulent debt management companies
- Drafting formal requests for CID modifications
- Facilitating large-scale electronic document productions
- Responding to CFPB interrogatories and written reports
- Preparing company personnel for investigative hearings
- Attending and defending company personnel in investigative hearings
- Negotiating proposed settlements with the CFPB
- Privacy issues
- Insurance issues
We regularly deal with federal and state banking and enforcement agencies, including all of the federal banking agencies and state agencies both within and outside our footprint. The experience of our Consumer Financial Services Litigation group covers a full range of federal and state banking and credit laws. We work closely with clients to help them adapt to this regulatory environment while handling complaints and litigation.